Wednesday, September 27, 2006

What was Alice doing in San Diego?

It's a fair question, asked to me tonight by one Melissa in Alice's high school class. So I'll tell you.

Alice had moved to San Diego on August 23, 2006 to pursue an internship at San Diego City College. I know the exact date because when we were moving her things from her apartment yesterday, I came across a painted-over frosted candle holder. Alice had painted some pretty designs, along with I think a Chinese symbol, and the words "love," "faith," and "hope." Actually I don't remember all these details, I quickly packed it away when I first picked it up. Her dear friend in Long Beach, Stephanie, told me about what specifically had been painted on it, and told me the significance of the August date.

The intership was a requirment for her master's degree in kinesiology at Cal State Long Beach. She was working with Kathy, the chair of the Health and Exercise Science department at SDCC, assisting her in the classroom. I know Alice also served on a curriculum design committee along with many high-level decision makers at the College. Kathy was quickly impressed with Alice, not to mention smitten with her, and had already suggested that it would be likely that Alice would be offered a paying gig for the spring semester.

She was scheduled to take the comprehensive exam for her degree on October 20th so as to graduate in December. She had been dilly-dallying a bit lately, yet I knew she would pull together in time to feel prepared for the big exam. She'd worked so hard for this degree, and the end was finally in sight.

Alice also sought out a bible study group in San Diego. From a friend of hers in the group, Dina, I understand that Alice wanted to know God more intimately, and that studying the Bible would help. Her favorite passages included The Beatitudes in Matthew and some selections in Jeremiah. I'm not so familiar with the Bible, so this was an education for me.

Naturally, Alice also was flying her big butterfly kite at the beach. I've never seen it, yet I understand that it's big and majestic. She was going to her favorite destination as often as she could, and when she was there, she was taking full advantage of the elements. I came across a bottle of blowing bubbles and a hula-hoop in her apartment, so she was clearly finding time to engage her playfulness, of which she had an abundance.

Mostly, Alice was starting anew in San Diego, making new friends, and seeing what it felt like to be 100 miles from home once again. Her neighbors all expressed how much of an impact she had made on them during her short 3 weeks there. Dina recounted how Alice had made her lentil soup when she wasn't feeling well last week and would need to miss a bible study session. Her daughter-in-law Maxine told us there was still a smidgeon left in the fridge. I wanted to ask her for it, but that felt weird. Truth is I don't need to eat from her cooking to feel her last days. There are other ways to know, that I'm still exploring.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you very much, careertalklive, and I think the beautiful words you are writing and so important both for Alice and her memory, and for you, to know just how intricate, complex and important Alice was to you. I am pretty sure I met Alice once -- perhaps I didn't meet her at all -- but I feel that I know so much about her through you, the good, the difficult, the special and the sad. My heart and love goes out to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

love, Sarah R (previous comment from me as well)

Anonymous said...

careertalklive,

My name is Meda C. I went to Whitney High School with Alice. She was in my graduating class of 88. I really wanted to attend the services today, but I was not able to. I just wanted to express to you the sadness that I feel for you and your family, losing Alice. I have not stopped reading your blogs since I was informed. I remember Alice, although I have not seen her since high school. I remember her smile! She was always smiling! I can not imagine the pain that you and your family are going through right now. My prayers are with all of you while you grieve. I am sure these messages will help you get through the tough times. I am sure she is a better palce. You have decribed her life after Whitney to be a fill one!

Both me, and my sister Demetra(class of 85 Whitney) send our love and prayers to you, Sophie, and your entire family.
family.

Meda

Anonymous said...

Sophie, Haig and Alice's family,

I am so saddened to hear of Alice's death. I was her friend in high school...Tania Dutko. We spent so many afternoons during lunch, sitting on the tables by the Hutch, just sharing our lives with each other. Like so many have said, my memories of Alice are memories of someone who was always happy. She was a kind, gentle, sweet person. I remember going to Whitney dances with her, getting our Whitney senior letters together, and getting to know both you, Sophie and you, Haig, through Alice. We wrote to each other, through college, off and on, but then lost touch. I'm sorry that happened.
I pray that I might see her again, one day, in heaven. She was a wonderful person and will be greatly missed. May God provide your family His comfort, peace and strength through this difficult time.

Tania (Dutko) Daniels

Anonymous said...

Sophie, Haig and Family

This is Nikki Eldredge. I also went to High School with Alice (with all 3 of you) and wanted to attend to services although was unable. I was stunned to hear of your loss. I am speechless and crying. I wished Sophie and I had kept contact so I would have known what a wonderful woman Alice was turning into. Alice was of course in my graduating class as well, and like everyone says she was always smiling and happy - full of life and laughter. No words can express my sympathy for you and your family. Haig, I love the way you have put this together in Alice's memory, what a loving brother and man! Sophie, I hope you are doing well - I fear you are reeling from all this, since I don't see much from or about you on this blog. Be strong, Alice would want that. I hope you remember me. Remember Mike Watkins and Danny Stewart? (I'm currently seeing Danny again, weird)Anyway my prayers are with you in this time of grievance and always. Words are failing me now. I am very sorry for your loss . . .
Nikki (neldredge@morganlewis.com)

careertalklive said...

Tania, thank you for your kind words, and for remembering Alice. Thinking about the Hutch made me smile. I remember those fried burritos in the foil wrap, and the 3 chocolate chip cookies you could get for $.45 and when you stepped on one it left a pool of grease on the concrete. -Haig

careertalklive said...

Meda, Demetra and I had physiology class together with Ms. Schultz. Your words to my family are very valuable. While I'm still working to get my mom and dad to see this blog, when they do, they will be very touched. My grief and despair persist, yet . Yet nothing. My grief and despair persist. -Haig

careertalklive said...

Nikki, Thank you. You open my eyes through your perceptiveness about Sophie. We are all in agony, and Sophie and I especially need to support each other right now, and for the rest of our lives, really. Mike Watkins... you and Sophie will probably have a long chat about that one. Or at least I hope so.

I hope my responses to comments don't feel like they discount the words of the writers. Nikki, you and Meda and Tania have given my family such wonderful gifts, living memories of Alice and sincere, personal experiences of her loss. Addressing your words could feel, I don't know, like taking the stage from you? This isn't my intention. Plus maybe it's uncool for a blogger to post comments to his own entries?

I think I am remembering Tania Dutko now. You had brown hair, past your shoulders, and wavy? With brown eyes? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you a litte bit more about what Alice was doing in San Diego. We had become friend as of lately. Mostly she was interested in finding a job as quickly as possible, and i was seeking out some connections. She enjoyed giving people tours of San Diego City College's Fitness Center. It was amazing to see the energy she had about fitness and excercise!

We talked about getting together on the weekends to study, I would work on my M.A. course work and she would work on preparing for her exam. We also talked about meeting once a week for coffee at City College, so as to support one another as interns, friends, students, etc. She loved San Diego, at least the part she got to know. We were going to get together for dinner Wednesday Sept. 20th, i thought it would be nice to show her Mission Beach and ride the roller coaster on the board walk.

I too feel like i was in the middle of a sentence with Alice that has been forever interrupted.

In my thoughts,
Eneri
QueenB

careertalklive said...

Demetra and I never had physiology class together. That was pure fantasy. -Haig