Saturday, January 20, 2007

Alice. And Mel and Flo and Vera.

It may be true. As time passes, maybe only the good memories endure, and the recollections of more tumultuous times with Alice fade.

My friend Giuseppe is always playing something on the telephone, and this past week, in his typical wry fashion, he played the theme to the TV show Alice via YouTube. I got lost for a moment, transported to the summers when I was 9 and 10.



On weekday mornings, while my mom was occupied around the house and my dad was at work, Sophie, Alice and I would sit in front of our 19" black and white television and watch reruns while eating Shredded Wheat and Cocoa Pebbles mixed together. I Love Lucy was on at 9:00 a.m., and at 9:30 a.m. was Alice. My mom loved Vera, and we found Flo and Mel and the adult humor irresistable. This snippet is a sing-along version to the credits from the first season.

Once the program ended, it was time to run outside and find out who was around to ride bikes with, play hide and seek, or go to Pioneer Chicken for some salty and greasy treats. The possibilities in the summer air were endless.

This pleasant scene is all the happier because I know it wasn't something I appreciated by myself. Sophie and Alice shared their delight in the show with me, too. To the extent that maybe Alice has tracked down Vic Tayback in the sweet hereafter and has said hello? Huh.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, like so many others, come back again and again to learn more of Alice's childhood and of your relationship with her. Please do continue to share.

Anonymous said...

Haig? Is this you? I am so unbelievably sad to hear of Alice's death. Many of my best childhood memories are of the fun we had on our block, us, Yvette and Dino, Cari.. Oh, and your mom's cream cheese and jelly sandwiches... And your backyard which was so crazy different than ours, everything growing everywhere. I think of the three of you often. Do you have a direct contact link, rather than through a public comment?

Thinking of you and your family,
Kim Sicklick-Tankersley

careertalklive said...

Kim, Your message leaves me in tears. I think hearing from you, from so long ago, and your recollection of cream cheese and jelly sandwiches touches me. How wonderful to hear from you, you can e-mail me at careertalklive@yahoo.com. -Haig

Anonymous said...

Hi Haig- I just heard about Alice today from Rocky and the news just broke my heart. I have such fond memories of all of you. I love the pictures of Alice as a grown-up. I think she was about 15 the last time I saw her, and that's how I still pictured her. Baby-faced with long hair. I miss you & your mom and Sophie too. Much love. Wendy wendyflick@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

PS Your daughter is beautiful.