For the one-year anniversary of Alice's death, I returned to California--I couldn't imagine being anywhere else that day. My mom, dad and I went to the cemetery and then we went to Warehouse Pizza in La Verne for dinner. Eneri, Alice's new friend from San Diego, and her friend Helena(?) came all the way up to visit Alice's grave site, and then joined us for pizza. It was really heartening to spend time with my mom and dad and others who loved Alice.
On the second anniversary of Alice's death, I had work to do out of state. I wrote about it here, but it was an outlier; certainly it wasn't the way I intended to spend every September 19th.
And now the third anniversary is upon us, and I'm not sure what we will do. It seems this year's marker is keeping the Chahinians separated from one another. My mom said she'll go to Rose Hills, then she'll be off to school, because she's a college student now. My dad, I don't quite know what he'll do, and I don't know what Sophie will do although I know we won't be together.
I think I may just make an Armenian dinner, I suppose. Alice enjoyed Armenian food.
Anyway I prefer to commemmorate her birthday with a certain ritual rather than mark the worst day of my life, the day she died.
3 comments:
I thought about Alice this weekend. I didn't quite know why my weekend was turning out so somber. I attributed it to many other reasons like depression from stress, work, friendships, etc. I realized that the universe was reminding me of Alice.
Her and I were getting to be close friends, and I was so excited about the idea of having a new friend in my life, a strong, independant and driven woman like I was.
Know that my prayers and thoughts are always present for Alice and the Chahinian family. For Day of the Dead, I will build an altar, like I do every year, honoring the loved ones in my life that have passed. Alice will be honored too.
Hugs.
Eneri Rodriguez
eneri.arauz@gmail.com
I am so happy to see that you are writing again, Haig. I appreciate your candor and willingness to share with all of us.
Since my last comment I have experienced another death in my family. My 31 year old brother died of pneumonia. He died five days before the two year anniversary of my father's death.
Interestingly, his b-day was Saturday, Sept. 19. We had a pizza party (one of his favorite foods)to celebrate and went to the cemetery to spend some time with him.
It has been a heartbreaking experience.
Christina
Christina,
I am so, so sorry to hear this; may your brother rest in peace. My heart breaks for you, and your family. Maybe you take some comfort in the thought that your father and brother are "together again?"
The pain in this world is great. I share in your sadness.
-Haig
Post a Comment